The Upward Bound Programs at Morehead State University have been hosted at MSU since 1966. Originally there was only one Upward Bound Program, today this grant is known as UB Central. During the 1999-2000 grant competition MSU applied for 2 additional Upward Bound Programs, and UB East & UB Math & Science were funded! With these 3 grants UB at MSU is able to serve over 271 students throughout eastern Kentucky.
Upward Bound students attend academic workshops, career activities, cultural events and during the summer attend a one-week non residential and a five-week residential program. Upward Bound staff provide services for over 270 students per academic year in the counties of Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Fleming, Lawrence, Johnson, Magoffin, Mason, Menifee, Morgan, and Rowan counties.
Eligibility - To be eligible for the Upward Bound Classic students must:
- Be a Freshman or Sophomore in one of the above schools.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Meet either income requirements or first generation criteria
- Have a need for academic support services provided by Upward Bound
- Your high school guidance counselor or the Upward Bound office can provide you with additional details about eligibility. Apply early in the school year as spaces are limited!